Sunday, November 15, 2009

Gridlock on the Aizawl-Champai Highway

Well, I am writing this blog from the side of the road as negotiations regarding the rights and wrongs of the two drivers involved in this road accident take place. Now, before I go any further you should know that everyone is just fine. One thing about never getting faster than 20 km/h is that, if you can keep the car on the road, you will survive.


You see, on my trip back to Aizawl, the sumo I was travelling in met a very large truck coming around a tight corner, and everyone came to an abrupt stop just 3 feet apart . After backing up to a pull out, the truck went around us and all was right with the world. Three corners later, we met another truck and we came to another abrupt stop, but the truck did not. The driver tried to go around us but missed. I mean, he missed going around us and therefore, hit us!

This brought the entire highway to a halt as the negotiations began about who was at fault and who should pay. Next came the phone calls to the police--like we were going to get cell phone reception and wait 6 hours for a policeman to drive out from Aizawl! I assumed (correctly) that this was mere posturing. One could not argue about who was over the center line as there is no center line. Heck, there is barely one lane! I thought about getting out my tape measure, then thought better of it and minded my own business for a change. Thirty minutes later some arrangement was reached and we carried on.
Another hour down the road and the drive came to a quick stop again--this time to look at the site of the bus crash yesterday. As I got out of the car and looked over the edge, my stomach made a rush for my throat. They explained to me that it was a school bus that crashed, but I could not see it in the bottom of the ravine. I can't believe that anyone could survive such a trip, but apparently only one child died. We drove around to the other side of the ravine, and I took this picture. I was never able to see the bottom of the plunge nor the bus wreckage. What a terrible tragedy for this community already in mourning!
I am finishing this blog from the comfort and safety of my room in Aizawl. Don't think I don't know how lucky I am to have made it here in one piece. Before I left I had a colleague warning me about snakes and bad water and such, which is all good advice, but by far the most dangerous thing I face is the road! At least no one was shooting at us as we drove along the road like in Guatemala, right Rob? Tomorrow will be tame by comparison. I only have to navigate the Indian banking system.

Let me say again how sorry I am that this community has had such a terrible week. My heart goes out to you all.

No comments: