Saturday, February 27, 2010

Port au Prince: City Under Siege (by Gordon Gilchrist)

We are driving through the city right now trying to get to an artisan community, and, as we drive, Thor has been going over some of the statistics:
  • 300,000 dead
  • 50 Canadians still missing
  • 400,000 moved out of PauP to the provinces
  • 1,200,000 homeless left in the city

The problem with that third statistic, the large number of people leaving the city, is that the rural infrastructure is not in place to support that many people. When the international community invested in Haiti, they put most of the development into Port au Prince. The discussion in the car went something like this: when all the aid for Haiti was concentrated in Port au Prince, all the eggs were put into that one basket, and now the basket has been dropped, set on fire, driven over to extinguish the flames, had its ashes scooped up and dumped into a well that was then flooded with rain water and washed out to sea! That, as we see it, is the state of Port au Prince today! Now, we might be a bit punchy from a lack of sleep, but the assessment is not far off.


Back in the car now after visiting the metal artisans--pretty cool stuff! I will have some up for auction along with some paper mache art when I return. It was like music to hear the artisans pounding on the steel. It was the music of making a living, banging out a future for their families and their country. This work is very labor-intensive and truly skilled craftmanship. There is an undeniable, immediate, life-threatening need in Haiti right now, but there is a bigger, long-term problem, as well. Haiti needs to build an economy. These artisans are doing their part by creating a foreign market, making something that can be exported in exchange for foreign currency to build the economy.


We stopped at the Thor camp to see the water system. The people are thrilled to have clean water available! One person has been given the responsibility of metering the water out, and, as we speak, a shed is being constructed around the tanks to keep them safe. Pat and I surveyed the site for the best location to put up the first of 5 shelter buildings. I have some funding in place, but I need money! We have the contractor, the materials, the local labor, the blessing of the landlord; we are just short of cash. Here is the deal: we can put a family into interim housing for $4/square foot. I am a cheap Schotchman, so I can promise you, this is a cheap as it gets! They really need your help here! Please get involved!

I just want to add that I know many of you are worried about us, and I don't think that there is anything I can say to stop you from doing that, but the most dangerous part of this trip, like all trips, is the driving. We are quite safe, and I can certainly say that I am in my element. I am making a difference, using my talents to help others. I cannot stay at home, perhaps safer, knowing that these people are living like this when I can make a difference. I have the time off work, I have the talent to help make things happen, and I would like to think that someone like me would help our family if we were in the same boat.

No comments: